Department: HIM Release of Information
Status: Full Time
The Release of Information Specialist II is a mid-level role that provides coverage for release of information (ROI) functions, including written and verbal requests to disclose patient protected health information as permitted under federal and state law. The ROI Specialist II is able to perform all ROI functions independently and may also serve in a customer service setting assisting requestors with questions regarding releasing health information. Team members must understand and protect the patient’s privacy rights ensuring only those permitted to access or receive their health information receive medical records and that all releases are done in accordance to the rules and regulations set by Orlando Health, federal and state law.
· High School Diploma or equivalent education..
· Medical Terminology required.
· Requires intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office products (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
· Requires minimum typing speed of 35 words per minute.
· One (1) year experience directly in a Health Information Management, Health Services Administration, Healthcare Informatics, Customer Service, or closely related role working with medical records or clinical data in an electronic medical record required.
· Completion of an approved Health Information Management, Health Information Technology, or Healthcare Informatics program may substitute for one (1) year direct working experience. · Direct experience in Release of Information function is required.
• Retrieves, opens, and sorts mail, e-mail, and faxes in a timely fashion for processing and accounting of release of information requests received.
• Responds immediately to calls received in the customer service center / call center utilizing exceptional customer service etiquette as required by established department processes, providing accurate and appropriate information to customers.
• Identifies record request types/classes for appropriate routing to correct work queue for processing.
• Exercise and understand the rules and requirements surrounding all contents of the medical record to include document/record types and admission types to ensure compliance with identifying and releasing the proper, minimum necessary records requested.
• Demonstrates exceptional customer service and knowledge of Release of Information functions at walk-in offices to promptly assist walk-in customers and expedite releases for on-site requests same day.
• Meets or exceeds all metrics required based on the role or function to ensure optimal performance and quality expectations for customers requesting records.
• Logs, tracks, and verifies requests meet requirements for processing to ensure compliance with Orlando Health policies, federal and state law to ensure patient privacy and security are protected.
• Regularly monitors all ROI related work queues as assigned and prioritizes releases based on established department processes
• Retrieves patient information from archives, paper file systems, legacy applications, or any other system/application that contains the legal medical record or records otherwise being requested and assembles in a standardized fashion. Returns the records to their originating location if in paper format.
• Reviews all chart notes, flags, alerts, etc., prior to processing a release to ensure compliance with patient privacy standards / requirements for safeguarding sensitive information not authorized to be released by patient.
• Generates and follows up on all correspondence sent to requestors to ensure receipt and completion of request in a timely fashion.
• Ensures proper invoicing of releases by understanding required fee structures and follows-up with requestor to ensure proper and full payment is received and processed when applicable.
• Follows up on all requests placed on internal hold on a routine basis to ensure proper turnaround time and customer satisfaction is met.
• Processes the release of records during fulfillment, securely sending only the minimum necessary information requested in the format and delivery method required by the requestor.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of Florida state statutes, federal rules/laws (HIPAA, HITECH, etc), and all other rules or guidelines relating to releasing protected records and uses appropriate judgement in releasing records.
• Maintains proficiency of all computerized applications that store records to ensure access to and retrieval of records is not negatively impacted.
• Assists with the training of new hires in the entry level Release of Information Specialist I position.
• Possesses working knowledge of the full Release of Information workflow within the various systems and resources identifying and resolving issues when there are breakdowns in the processes.
• Performs quality assurance on Release of Information Specialist team members and reports findings to management.
• Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
• Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
· Maintains security and confidentiality of patient and hospital data and information
· Demonstrates exemplary customer service and leadership especially when in a customer facing role by being alert, respectful, and professional always while proactively identifying the needs of a customer and mitigating concerns quickly.
· Assumes responsibility for professional growth and development by completing training/recertification designed to maintain and increase job knowledge to include attending required in-service / departmental meetings.
· Maintains knowledge of key operational data systems and organizational workflows.
· Communicates cooperatively and constructively with physicians, patients, guests, and all other members of the healthcare team demonstrating excellent interpersonal, oral, written, and organizational skills.
· Promptly reports any improper handling of protected health information to include breaches or other HIPAA reportable offenses to manager when discovered.
· Possesses strong analytical skills to include critical thinking and process improvement skills, knowing when to report unusual or uncommon issues pertaining to Release of Information with leadership.
· Maintain positive behaviors and adapt to a changing environment.
· Maintains knowledge of clinical and registration / demographic system information in all applications required in order to navigate the medical record, reason, and solve problems.
· Work in fast paced, stressful, evolving environment while maintaining composure and appropriate levels of customer service.
· Work with little supervision organizing tasks, workload, and goals independently.
· Demonstrates flexibility, floats to other sites/functions as needed by the department, helps support special project requests, and in general is open to change when necessary.
· Organize work well, with exceptional attention to detail, and accurate data entry/verification/updating required.
Orlando Health is one of Florida’s most comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare systems providing access to nearly two million Central Florida residents and has provided care for more than 4,600 international visitors annually. Our physician practices, diagnostic centers, hospitals and advanced medical treatments and procedures, along with our highly qualified team of medical specialists, have distinguished Orlando Health as a healthcare leader. We are one of Central Florida’s largest employers with more than 15,000 employees and nearly 3,000 affiliated physicians supporting our philosophy of providing a continuum of care that revolves around patients’ needs. As a leading healthcare resource, providing world-class medical care as well as training our future healthcare providers, Orlando Health will continue to foster growth and development throughout the region for generations to come. We are looking for talented individuals to be part of our team.
ADDRESS: 3090 Caruso Court Orlando FL 32806
ABOUT ORLANDO HEALTH
Orlando Health, headquartered in Orlando, Florida, is a not-for-profit healthcare organization with $7.1 billion of assets under management that serves the southeastern United States.
Founded more than 100 years ago, the healthcare system is recognized around the world for its pediatric and adult Level One Trauma program as well as the only state-accredited Level Two Adult Trauma Center in Pinellas County. It is the home of the nation’s largest neonatal intensive care unit under one roof, the only system in the southeast to offer open fetal surgery to repair the most severe forms of spina bifida, the site of an Olympic athlete training facility and operator of one of the largest and highest performing clinically integrated networks in the region. Orlando Health is a statutory teaching system that pioneers life-changing medical research. The 3,200-bed system includes 15 wholly-owned hospitals and emergency departments; rehabilitation services, cancer and heart institutes, imaging and laboratory services, wound care centers, physician offices for adults and pediatrics, skilled nursing facilities, an in-patient behavioral health facility, home healthcare services in partnership with LHC Group, and urgent care centers in partnership with CareSpot Urgent Care. Nearly 4,200 physicians, representing more than 80 medical specialties and subspecialties have privileges across the Orlando Health system, which employs nearly 22,000 team members. In FY20, Orlando Health served nearly 150,000 inpatients and nearly 3.1 million outpatients. During that same time period, Orlando Health provided approximately $760 million in total value to the communities it serves in the form of charity care, community benefit programs and services, community building activities and more. Additional information can be found at http://www.orlandohealth.com, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @orlandohealth.
Tagged as: United States
Actalent Healthcare is looking for a Medical Assistant to support our healthcare team in Oklahoma City! Description: The Medical Assistant assists in examination and...Apply For This Job
721556 No 5121 1621 1 03-09-2022 Requisition Id 160664BR Department Number and Name 766122375 Medical Econ Job Description The Healthcare...Apply For This Job
We Are Hiring: Ascension Sacred Heart is a faith-based health system that provides a network of hospitals, outpatient health centers,...Apply For This Job
For New Hampshire, Massachusetts, & Michigan Complete Health – home visits required Graduate from an Accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor’s...Apply For This Job
Responsibilities Valley Hospital Medical Center Located in the heart of Las Vegas, Valley Hospital Medical Center is an acute care...Apply For This Job
Description SHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)SCHEDULE: Full-time Do you want to be a part of a family and not just another...Apply For This Job