The Freight Forwarding Manager provides strategic direction and leadership to the freight forwarding operation to include organizing the safe, efficient and cost effective transportation of goods (via shipping lines, airlines, road and rail freight operators) keeping in consideration the type of goods and customer delivery requirements. The FFM has responsibility for the overall performance of the operations, customer service, and finances of the location. The FFM is accountable for achieving the highest level of profits through cost controls, productivity improvements, and revenue growth.
– Investigating and planning the most appropriate route for a shipment, taking into account the perishable or hazardous nature of goods, cost, transit time and security;
– Arranging appropriate packing, taking into account the climate, terrain, weight, cost and nature of goods and also the delivery and warehousing of gods at their final destination;
– Negotiating contracts, transportation and handling costs to meet margin requirements and ensure maximum profitability;
– Obtaining, checking and preparing documentation to meet customs and insurance requirements, packing specifications, and compliance with other countries’ regulations and fiscal regimes;
– Arranging payment of freight and other charges or collection of payment on behalf of clients;
– Utilizing e-commerce, internet technology and satellite systems to enable real-time tracking of goods;
– Acting as Broker in customs negotiations worldwide to guide the freight efficiently through complex procedures;
– Maintaining communication and control through all phases of the journey, including the production of reports and statistical and unit-cost analysis;
– Maintaining current knowledge of relevant legislation and other factors that could affect freight movement.
– Monitors operation performance against financial goals, review progress regularly with General Manager, and communicates progress regularly with staff
– Assesses and understands market opportunities and trends, and how market conditions impact business performance and financials
– Develops and leverages a broad network of resources throughout the organization
– Nurtures long-term partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders
– Formulate strategies to ensure revenue targets of location are accomplished.
– Provides direction and guidance when addressing customer issues.
– Ensures the proper systems, procedures, internal controls, quality standards, metrics, and quality control processes are in place.
– Recommends process improvements that will create the most efficiency while maintaining service expectations.
– Work closely with outside & inside sales teams, gain market share and development of RFQ’s
– Updating the team on a weekly basis in regards to customer base, operational changes and new sales
– Develop and manage a global network of air carriers, steamship lines, and agent relationships to ensure adequate capacity for their assigned market.
– Other projects as assigned by the Manager
Education and Experience Requirements:
– Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required
– Minimum 8 years’ experience in global freight forwarding required
– Minimum 2 years’ experience people management & development required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
– Must be proficient with NVOCC (Non Vessel Ocean Common Carrier), IAC (Indirect Air Carrier) regulations, and all other requirements necessary to operate a fully compliant freight forwarding operation.
– Extensive knowledge of domestic and international transportation regulations, policies, and procedures required
– Must have knowledge of the Trans-Pacific/Asia trade lanes and markets.
– Must have knowledge of the Trans-Atlantic/Europe trade lanes and markets.
– Must possess extensive industry experience of all international modes of transportation, including air, ocean, FCL, LCL, Project Cargo for both import and export activities.
– Demonstrated record of success in performing in an environment of change, maintaining effectiveness while managing multiple and shifting priorities required
– Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks/projects
– Ability to collaborate with business partners on organizational initiatives
– Results oriented with the drive to want to grow within the organization
– Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
– Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Tagged as: United States
Job Description: General Manager Manages and supervises the day to day activities of property and handles all property operations as...Apply For This Job
Position SummaryEffectively and efficiently lead and direct the production, maintenance and/or warehouse departments at the plant where applicable, in producing...Apply For This Job
JOB SUMMARYResponsible for driving process innovation by modeling, documenting, analyzing, designing and overseeing the implementation of process improvements for Spectrum...Apply For This Job
Description Job Title: Manager, Maintenance Summary: The Maintenance Manager position is responsible for managing all aspects of the maintenance department....Apply For This Job
Key Responsibilities/Experience: Provide leadership and direction to Management teams in multiple sites and divisionsDevelop annual strategic plans to optimize growth...Apply For This Job
ou are our merchandising visionary-and the leader of our back-of-house operations. Under the direction of the Store Manager and in...Apply For This Job